PIEMONTE DOCG WINES
Asti (formerly known as Asti Spumante) is sparkling wine made from Moscato (Muscat), Piemonte’s signature white grape.
Fermentation of Moscato d'Asti wines is stopped sooner than that of the Asti wines so that the residual sugar content is higher, the alcohol level is lower, and the wine is less effervescent because less carbon dioxide is produced. Additionally, Asti is normally packaged in the Champagne-style with a wired down cork, whereas Moscato d’Asti generally has the standard cork used by most still wines.
Dry, still red wine made from the Nebbiolo grape. The small Barbaresco region is northeast of Barolo. Typically these are very complex and tannic wines that need to age.
Known as the single greatest expression of the Nebbiolo grape. The “Wine of Kings” and the “King of Wines”. Like Barbaresco, this wine is also fermented dry and still. Again, a very complex wine that needs to age.
Brachetto d’Acqui (aka: Acqui)
A slightly sweet sparkling wine made from the Brachetto grape.
Dolcetto di Dogliani Superiore (aka: Dogliani)
Red wine made from the Dolcetto grape. Dolcetto translates to “little sweet one” but don’t be fooled because this wine is almost exclusively vinted dry and is typically meant to be consumed 1 – 2 years after release.
The Nebbiolo grape, which is known locally (Vercelli Hills) as Spanna, must make up at least 90% of the wine. The rest of it may be blended with up to 10% Bonarda di Gattinara and no more than 4 % of Vespolina.
The wine is made primarily from the Nebbiolo grape varietal (known locally as Spanna) and like Gattinara, it may be blended with Bonardi di Gattinara and Vespolina.
Gavi (aka: Cortese di Gavi)
Dry white wine made from the Cortese grape that is produced in a restricted area close to the Lugurian border.
Anywhere from 95 – 100% Nebbiolo. This area lies northwest of the River Tanero, as opposed to Barolo and Barberesco, which lie to the southeast of.